Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Simple Faith

I'll take the uneducated and inarticulate person who is living a faith-filled life over someone who can use words to soar to the heights - but misses the everyday opportunities to reveal God.

I think of my step-grandmother. When I was a kid, visiting for the weekend, my friend from next door asked me to come over to his place. I turned him down so I could sit with my step-grandmother on the porch while she knitted. She told me I didn't have to stay and keep her company. I could go play with my friend. But I didn’t want to do that.. and I didn’t know why. Later, I figured out the reason. She had been talking about the beauty of God's world and spoke to me as if what I thought really mattered. Her simple faith had stirred a desire to hang around and hear more.

In heaven, Billy Graham and the like, will have to take a back seat to the single mother scrubbing floors to support her children. She'll get the pat on the back, not because she never doubted or cried her heart out but because when it came down to it, she loved and trusted God in little ways every day and just lived out what she believed. It’s much easy to be holy when you have big crowd in front of you to impress. But what about when no one is looking?